lots of flavors, however long it takes me

Friday, April 29, 2011

Chocolate


I'd long heard of Ben and Jerry's epic annual free cone day, but due to a lack of B&J (not feeling the initials but it's easier) in my town, I'd never had the opportunity to attend, much less enjoy it. My sister attended college in Saratoga Springs, New York where a large Ben and Jerry's resided, and as a girl on a college budget (read: parent-funded), she would rave about free cone day. The girl had financial priorities and ice cream wasn't the only thing she enjoyed at Skidmore...

When I decided to start this..."project" (said loosely because of my lack of discipline, though using the term makes it feel legitimate), free cone day didn't even cross my mind. I never even thought to seek out the answers to the numerous questions I once had about it. Was it the same day every year? Is it everywhere? Is there an age limit?

Then, all in one week, something magical happened. First, LivingSocial announced a $20 for $10 deal at B&J, and though I didn't jump on the bandwagon fast enough, I was pretty impressed with the timing of it all. In the same week, I heard word it was free cone day! I immediately googled locations and to my dismay there are only three in New York City. Harlem, Rockefeller Center and Macy's. Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad. Macy's is however in close proximity to my apartment, so the decision was made.

I wholeheartedly despise Macy's Herald Square, mostly because it somehow seems to resemble what I imagine Ellis Island was like in its prime, and the crowds are anxiety-inducing on more levels than one. Even still, free cone day was free cone day and how could I not attend? I made my way on a cold and rainy night and the usual crowds didn't bother me as much as they normally do, as the shoppers there may as well be immigrants with cholera who I dodge and avoid like...well, cholera. The line was absurd, though moved quickly as the scoopers (another technical term) more closely resembled factory workers on an assembly line, scooping and passing, scooping and passing. Did my scoop have a little residue (ew) of another flavor? Yes, but I still appreciated their efforts.

The disappointment set in when an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper (not framed...not even laminated) informed me of my flavor options. Options? Strike one. The flavors available were as follows: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla fro yo, lemon sorbet and one crossed out aggressively in black marker. Late Night Snack. The flavor that pushed me to start this "project" in the first place. Strike two. Here they were, the most generic flavors on the planet, and the most recent and acclaimed one was available and now, conveniently unavailable?! My shock and dismay as well as that of a one Amanda Heller, were off the charts.

I opted for chocolate and just as I made a mental list of why this was maybe a good thing (1. I have to eat all flavors eventually, 2. it was free, 3. it kinda sorta maybe hit the spot) we spotted customers with cones that had flavors that were not any of the above listed. Late Night Snack? It had to be. Strike three.

No comments:

Post a Comment