lots of flavors, however long it takes me

Monday, March 21, 2011

Karamel Sutra


The name sounds sexy, as I assume it's meant to, "wittingly" derived from kama sutra, the holy handbook of sex. While the flavor was perhaps not as sultry as its Sanskrit origin, I can see why they chose the name (aside from ad purposes - go Unilever!). The smooth caramel is just that: smooth, silky and well, sexy, I guess, if I didn't mind referring to food as sexy, abandoning all of my hate for foodies who describe food as the former and themselves as the latter. The seldom fudge chips are like a little surprise, and a welcome one at that.

My biggest complaint is that the ice cream's execution seemed better as a concept. The thick, rich caramel is the "core" (their word, not mine), surrounded with half caramel and half chocolate ice cream and fudge chips. Great idea, in theory, except I'm not a master ice cream scooper, thus I didn't get a balanced portion to include said caramel core in my scooping. Let me be clear that my scooping experience peaked somewhere in middle school at sleepaway camp where during an after-meal ice cream party, waitresses were given a break and campers were given the privilege of scooping our own ice cream. Remind me now how this seemed like a privilege back then? Regardless, perhaps if I got this flavor at a Ben & Jerry's where one had been trained in scooping and was able to give me a balanced portion of part ice cream, part ice cream, chips and core I would speak higher, though I will say the flavor as a whole was delicious. The chocolate ice cream was a good contrast to the sweet and creamy caramel, and the chips were the right amount of decadent...what I got of the core was delicious, though it was a challenge. Now, someone get me a thesaurus and find me a synonym for core.

No comments:

Post a Comment