lots of flavors, however long it takes me

Monday, March 14, 2011

Night One

Julie Powell of Julie and Julia fame aimed at recreating every single one of Julia Child’s recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She planned to make at least one recipe a day, every day, for an entire year, until she had made all there was to make, though any (semi)insightful reader or movie-goer knows that what Julie craved was more than just a decent beef bourguignon. She craved creating something to be proud of, something to connect to and something to salvage her career, her marriage and her life. Her blog and subsequent book, Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen has now become synonymous with those foodie writers (and not) who need a mission, and moreover, a goal.


What I crave is far less complex, as my sweet tooth becomes more insatiable by the day, teetering on the edge of becoming cavity ridden but holding on tight as the fear of a nasty dental hygienist looms in the distance. I will be trying every Ben & Jerry’s flavor currently in production. I’ve had a lot of ice cream in my day, specifically Ben & Jerry’s (I MAY or may not have helped conquer a Vermonster in my youth), but fear not, for I will start with a clean slate and eat every flavor to ensure that I haven’t missed any. Could too much Phish Food kill a person, anyway? (Probably).


Maybe I do want more than to satiate my seemingly insatiable sweet tooth. Maybe I hope to find a new favorite flavor, one that gets added to my Facebook interests and becomes part of my "about me" banter at cocktail parties and social gatherings (people do talk about ice cream at these things, right?), but right now my reasons are simple. I want to do something and I want to finish something. ...And ice cream is delicious. Thank you Jimmy Fallon for the motivation (Late Night Snack - google it pronto), among other things.


Up first - Karamel Sutra.


Header thanks to wordle.net. Holler.

No comments:

Post a Comment